Tuesday 13 January 2009

Why the move

Hey Folks!

So I was publishing a blog through my mac but I didn't like how that was working out because there was no way for any friends of family to leave any feedback. I am new to blogging so I need the feedback to (1) make sure someone out there is actually reading this stuff and (2) I want to figure out what is interesting to everyone else. I mean I will definitely tell you all about what is interesting and striking to me, but after I am done with a New England hot dog rant I might need a gentle push to a new subject :)

I have made it to England now and have moved into my flat. I have 3 flatmates one of which is my roommate - Mary. She is from New York and an awesome person! I also have a flatmate named Colleen from Cleveland. Currently she is sitting outside hoping that her luggage will be delivered tonight because the airlines lost her luggage and she has been here almost a week now. The final flatmate is Kiren, a British girl who is currently working on her masters at a college in Leeds, England. 

Our flat is nestled in between the railroad station and the river. It has so much charm even though it is modern. Outside on our balcony I can look out on a small gravel bike path that barely separated the Oxford canal from the river and beyond the river there are grassy wild-lands where birds like to rest. Lots of trees line the river and all this is situated in the perfect position for the sunset. When the sun goes down it turns the river red and the skies purple. 

The mornings are met with a healthy dosage of fog and the sound of the morning trains on their way to London and other destinations all over Britain. The train tracks cut off our apartment from the rest of Oxford which can sometimes seem inconvenient but it also makes it a very peaceful and safe area. It also makes travel very easy, no need for a cab at the end of your journey just pop on down to the end of the block and there's your bed! 

I am officially an associate member of New College, whose name is something of a misnomer. New College was established 1379 and is one of the oldest colleges in Oxford. It is also incredibly beautiful - if you want to imagine what it is like think Harry Potter. In fact Harry Potter wanted to use the New College Dining Hall for the film but New College turned them down because of the inconvenienced and offered instead the use of the cloisters which is where Malfroy was turned into a ferret. In fact, if I want to go to  the evening dinner I must wear my academic robes over my civilian clothing which makes it all look even more like Harry Potter. 

Harry Potter aside New College is one of the most respected colleges and is one of the top three of Oxford. With so much prestige it would be an intimidating college to study at, intimidating until you enter within its postcard perfect walls. Inside the commons room you would find pool tables, a wii, televisions, and vending machines. In a different corridor there is a bar for students surrounded by arcade games and students walking around in pajamas or sweat pants. It seems, it doesn't matter where you study students are students everywhere. 

I guess this will be enough for my first post. Later I will try and copy and paste some of my posts from the last site in. Laters! 

1 comment:

  1. sounds amazing oxie!!! we would all like to see amazing pictures from your flat though... :)

    ReplyDelete