Tuesday 13 January 2009

A New Year is Here at Last... We'll See What It Brings 01-01-2009

This last year found me in quite the adventure. I lived in Cohasset, MA with my grandparents, I went to Belize for 3 weeks to work on a Maya archaeological dig, I backpacked around Guatemala and Honduras for a week, helped start a new singles unit in my stake ("the twig"), lived with my great aunt for a time, got accepted into a semester abroad at Oxford, and traveled all over New England.

Usually on New Year's Eve I like to drive around and visit some of the places where my memories took place that year. This tradition made last night very hard for me. The few memories of Utah I have for this year I did not want to revisit, and the memories I have of New England I have been visiting since I got here. So instead I got my traditional Green Apple Jones soda and drove around to some memories two or three years old.

In some aspects I like living the life of a nomad. I get to meet all sorts of new people and friends. I have exciting adventures left and right. Rack up all sorts of new stories to share. But it does make coming home kind of hard. I always think of home as this static place in my mind that doesn't change. A constant in my inconstant life. Its always a rude awakening to find how completely wrong I am. Friends have come and gone, friends dating, friends getting married, friends pasted on - and every new bit of news stabs me because I forgot how volatile every place is in the world, including home.

This new year will continue much the same as the last in the nomadic tradition. I leave in less than a week for England where I will stay until late April. Then I shall return to Cohasset, MA to wrap up my life there and prepare for my sister and her family to move into my old house. After that back to Utah to spend my birthday (finally 21!!!) with family and friends. Probably with a quick trip to California shoved in there and finally, hopefully, most likely, I will then be leaving for an 18 month mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. So lots to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment