Monday 20 April 2009

A Translyvanian Tale

Alright guys this one has got to be quick because I think my Romanian dinner is almost done being cooked in the other room but i couldn't resist - internet is really hard to come by in this country!
So a few days ago I was traveling in Translivania, a region in Romania. It was in the evening and we had just left a palace in the mountains and walked back to our rental car. I made the joke about feeling ready to drive (it is a manuel and I only had 1 short lesson - they let me drive about 5 feet). Not only do i not really know how but i am not on the insurance since I am only 20 but they jokingly gave me the keys to see what i would do - silly people.
Of course i took the keys and started the car. I put it into reverse and slowly backed out of our parking spot in the empty lot. I then tried to get it into 1st gear. It took a few tries, probably 3 or 4 but then i started going. That was when they realized they didn't teach me what happened next and so they started freaking out that I was actually driving the car. Right at the moment when they were freaking out about my amazing manuel skills ;) I started freaking out because right in front of me crossing the road was a bear!!
Honest to goodness it was a bear! In the middle of the night in Translyvania! It wasn't too worried about me because it was being chased by 2 mean dogs but it didn't move all that quickly either. I think it was considering if it would be safer inside the car with us. We were all so stunded we just sat there in the stalled car waiting to see what it would do and debating the safest way to photograph this epic event.
Eventually the bear, and the dogs, went on their way and I felt safe enough to move back to the backseat where i will be staying from here on out in Romania!

2 comments:

  1. When you return to Massachusetts I should take you on a trip to Clarks (www.clarkstradingpost.com) and you can have a great bear experience. ;)

    Sounds like you are having the time of your life you lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you get back to happy valley I'll have to teach you how to drive standard. If I can teach my brother how I can teach you.

    ReplyDelete